Writing: The Second Law Launched!
Since its October 2018 launch, The Second Law, Lynn Dayton Thriller #3 has sold well and received many positive reviews. I’ve appeared at author events such as independent bookstore and Barnes & Noble signings, HP LitFest, a book club, and at the legendary Mysterious Bookshop in New York.
I also finished two big marketing projects which included contacting 1700 U.S. libraries and the subgroup of 1330 U.S. independent bookstores that carry thrillers and mysteries. There’s more to do—and more events in the future, including a Tulsa, Oklahoma signing in May. And then I look forward to beginning work on the fourth Lynn Dayton thriller.
Bargain-hunters may observe the Kindle retail cost for Strike Price, Lynn Dayton Thriller #2 has dropped by 30%, from $6.99 to $4.99.
In the last six months I’ve read 18 books, including five non-fiction. Authors of several of the novels inserted politics so heavy-handedly they detracted from their storytelling. A few others got trapped offline in an award brouhaha that did brand damage to both a well-known author and a long-time authors’ organization. Books and authors I liked that avoided these traps were: Under a Dark Sky by Lori Rader-Day; Red War, by Kyle Mills for Vince Flynn; and Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly.
I liked three non-fiction books especially because they were all or partly Oklahoma-centric: Boomtown, about Oklahoma City, by Sam Anderson; The Boy Who Carried Bricks by Alton Carter (despite its cover this gritty memoir is best suited for adults, not children or YA); and then one of the narrative essays in Impossible Owls, by fellow Ponca City author Brian Phillips.
I continue to write three articles a month for the open (free) Seeking Alpha platform and five a month for a Marketplace subscriber platform, Econ-Based Energy Investing (EBEI). If you’re interested, here are the open platform and EBEI links: https://seekingalpha.com/author/laura-starks#regular_articles
Until next time,
Fiction (books) by L. A. Starks–in reverse order
The Second Law (Lynn Dayton Thriller #3)
- Print ISBN 9780991110742, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC, October 2018, $18.95.
- E-book ASIN B07JLDGTVL, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC, October 2018, $8.99.
Strike Price (Lynn Dayton Thriller #2)
- Print ISBN 9780991110704, 2nd edition published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC, March 2014, $18.95.
- E-book ASIN B01K5Y406A, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC, August 2016, $6.99.
13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton Thriller #1)
- 2nd Print ISBN 978-0991110711, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group, LLC, August 2016, $18.95.
- E-book ASIN B015LI65GI, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group, LLC, September 2015, $4.99.
Electronic and print editions published by L&L Dreamspell, Brown Books, and StoneThread Publishing are no longer available.
Short stories by L. A. Starks on Amazon Kindle, in reverse order
- “Josh Rosen & Bubbe” gives additional background on series character Josh Rosen and insight into his relationship with his grandmother when she falls ill. 2014. ASIN: B00O854YKA, $0.99.
- “A Time for Eating Wild Onions” introduces two key characters in the second Lynn Dayton book, STRIKE PRICE. The tragedy that befalls them profoundly shapes the next generation. 2007. ASIN: B003NE6DGA, $0.99.
- “Robert and Thérèse Guillard: Choices” is a story about 13 DAYS’ Parisian antagonist and how it feels to fly in a wing suit. 2007. ASIN: B003NE6D74, $0.99.