Writing and Offers!
Bonuses: I am celebrating the new e-release of Strike Price (Lynn Dayton Thriller #2) in two ways.
First, in the weeks ahead, look for a free offer on Kindle for the e-short story, “A Time for Eating Wild Onions.” “Wild Onions” gives additional, haunting background for Strike Price.
Second, the e-book edition of Strike Price. itself will be offered in Kindle Countdown Deals, first in the UK from Sept. 12-Sept. 18, and then in the US. Discounts will be up to 80% off of the normal $6.99 price.
Thus via Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group, LLC, since the spring 2016 newsletter I have:
*published a second print edition of 13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy, (Lynn Dayton Thriller #1) with the same cover as the e-book, shown above,
*published a new e-book edition of Strike Price, (Lynn Dayton Thriller #2), with the same cover as the print edition (and the addition of a TAA winner badge), and
*released the newly-reformatted short story, “A Time for Eating Wild Onions,” first published by Amazon Shorts and now on Kindle.
The 10th Annual Dallas Book Festival at the end of April successfully welcomed thousands of guests to the Dallas Public Library’s central J. Erik Jonsson Library. I enjoyed participating in a panel with author and Dallas Morning News book reviewer Shawna Seed (Identity and Not in Time) moderated by Sharon Martin, University Park Library Director.
I am revising the third book in the Lynn Dayton thriller series, a story of deadly cyberattacks prompted by all-too-human ambition and betrayal.
In the last six months I read 31 books. Most of my favorites were thrillers: Black Widow by Daniel Silva; Independence Day by Ben Coes; Brute Force and State of Emergency by Marc Cameron; The Wolves, by Alex Berenson; Signal and Runner by Patrick Lee; and a funny, self-aware mystery in the style of Elmore Leonard called Cold Storage, Alaska by John Straley. I also liked the style and setting (Barcelona) of Carlos Ruis Zafon’s The Shadow of the Wind. For a true techno-thriller featuring cyber-whiz Brody Taylor, I recommend Invasion of Privacy by Ian Sutherland.
An interesting theme of mind-reading and the hive mind has surfaced. It informs four of the books I read recently–both of Patrick Lee’s books noted above, the wrenching Afterwards: A Novel, by Rosamund Lupton, as well as Nexus: Install, by Ramez Naam. An earlier book with the same theme is Extraordinary Powers, Joseph Finder’s first novel.
My unquestionably most favorite book of the last six months was recommended by reviewer Shawna Seed: The Do-Right by Lisa Sandlin. If you have time for only one book in the next quarter, read The Do-Right.
The investor website Seeking Alpha published the three energy business articles I submitted in the last six months. The subject companies were Tesoro, Gulfport Energy, and Matador Resources.
This period has seen natural gas prices stabilize and oil prices hold steadier, with a turn toward the West Texas-New Mexico Permian Basin as the most economic US oil source.
Please connect with me on Goodreads, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and/or Google+.
Until next time,
Fiction (books) by L. A. Starks–in reverse order
Strike Price (Lynn Dayton Thriller #2)
- E-book ASIN B01K5Y406A, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC, August 2016, $6.99.
- Print ISBN 9780991110704, 2nd edition published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC, March 2014, $18.95.
13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton Thriller #1)
- 2nd Print ISBN 978-0991110711, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group, LLC, August 2016, $18.95.
- E-book ASIN B015LI65GI, published by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group, LLC, September 2015, $4.99.
- 1st Print ISBN 9781933285450, published by Brown Books Publishing Group, May 2006, $16.95.
Short stories by L. A. Starks on Amazon Kindle–in reverse order
- “Josh Rosen & Bubbe” gives additional background on series character Josh Rosen and insight into his relationship with his grandmother when she falls ill. 2014. ASIN: B00O854YKA. $0.99
- “A Time for Eating Wild Onions” introduces two key characters in the second Lynn Dayton book, STRIKE PRICE. The tragedy that befalls them profoundly shapes the next generation. 2007. ASIN: B003NE6DGA. $0.99
- “Robert and Thérèse Guillard: Choices” is a story about 13 DAYS‘ Parisian antagonist and how it feels to fly in a wing suit. 2007. ASIN: B003NE6D74. $0.99